Saturday, October 12, 2013

Introduction to Spinning

I never expected to enjoy spinning when I took my first class.  But by the end of the day, I was hooked. And bought my wheel on the spot.  Spinning, for me, is not about the getting yarn but about the process of creating.  So when I received an assignment for my english class to explain a green technology in essay form it was only natural for me to turn to an enjoyable hobby that uses very few non-renewable resources and is powered by the human body.  The rest of the assignment was to create a video to go along with the essay - Introduction to Spinning.

The video was much more difficult than I expected and gives me even more appreciation for those people who podcast week in and week out.  I'll just apologize up front for the stops, stumbles, umms and ahhs throughout.  I hope you can enjoy it for what it is.

Here are some further spinning resources that I enjoy and you may find helpful:

Podcasts:
 The KnitGirllls - This podcast is excellent at enabling.  They also show beautiful examples of finished yarn and spinning in process.
 Blooming Knitter - This podcaster has done several very professional tutorials and is a pleasure just to listen to while your spinning or knitting.
The Proverbial Knitter - This podcaster has done tours of several different types and styles of spinning wheels.  If you think you want to get a spinning wheel, go check her out.

Books:
Start Spinning by Maggie-Casey
The Spinners Book of Yarn Designs by Sarah Anderson

Edited to add:  I want to say a HUGE thank you to my daughter Jade for all of her help in creating the video.

1 comment: